The most important actions to take to attract top OD talent.
By the Eyes on Eyecare team
Oct. 18, 2023
Your practice may be looking at this very moment for the ideal new associate OD–one who can take your practice to the next level by offering new services and expanding your ability to see more patients per day. Here are the most important things you can do to increase your chances of convincing the most talented ODs to join your practice.
How Can Eyes On Eyecare Help?
Recruiting top talent is a steep challenge. Here’s what Eyes on Eyecare can do for you.
- With Eyes on Eyecare, you would have a dedicated recruiter that reaches out to ODs and ensures timely communication and follow-up is being done
- The recruiter will screen all candidates so only ODs are sent that match any specific requirements that an employer has
- The recruiter will source numerous candidates as we have a vast network to reach out to candidates
- Eyes on Eyecare will not only have the listing on our website, but on more than a dozen premier eyecare and hiring sites so the listing will have lots of visibility
- The recruiter will assist you in the offer process and deal with any competing offers and gather any additional details or demands that would help facilitate them signing on the dotted line
- The recruiter will help develop a listing that will help attract the top talent and make sure the important pertinent information is included
- The recruiter can also help facilitate interviews and help with potential interview questions to ask
Put Your Best Face Forward
There is a definite discrepancy between the employer’s view of how important it is to effectively brand their company and the weight job seekers place on company image. Our data indicates the average employer only spends $826 per year on “marketing their employer brand.” These same employers rank the importance of their employer brand extremely low, at six out of 10. However, 95 percent of optometrists research a brand before choosing to apply for an open position.
So, what exactly do we mean by brand? Your brand is formed by the information that can be gathered about your company and the overall impression it invokes.
1) Have a polished web presence
Ideally, it should also contain:
An “About” page clearly outlining your history, mission, philosophy of care, core values and any other interesting facts.
Photos/bios of doctors and staff
High-resolution images of your physical office space and equipment that paint a pleasing picture.
2) Maximize Reviews
The new word-of-mouth is online reviews. Make sure they are working for you by tracking your reviews on sites such as Google My Business, Yelp, Healthgrades and WebMD. These sites allow customers to post about their experience with specific businesses and use rating systems to rank satisfaction. Encourage satisfied patients to leave positive feedback.
Also check your status on Glassdoor, which gives current and former employees a platform to anonymously review and recommend companies by listing pros and cons and rating them on a star system. Glassdoor also allows job seekers to compare salaries and browse jobs.
Know What Today’s ODs Want
To attract top talent, you must first understand the current optometry job market and have a firm grasp of the qualities ODs strongly prefer in a practice.
- Work/life balance: Today’s doctors want to excel in their job while also having the time and energy to have a life outside the office for family, hobbies and self-care.
- Socialization: Nearly 75 percent of ODs think it is important to have the opportunity to socialize with co-workers throughout the day.
- Benefits: Along with good health insurance, 401K retirement options, and profit sharing (or having the opportunity to buy into the practice) were contributing factors to job choice and satisfaction.
- Location: Candidates preferred a suburban workplace, with urban coming in second, and rural bringing up third.
- Community involvement: Companies that offer an opportunity to participate in the community by giving back and making a positive impact have a greater appeal.
3) Launch an advertising campaign