News Briefs Archive

Story that Proves You Need to Educate on Dangers of Eyelash Extensions

Oct. 31, 2018

A young woman recently found out the hard way what can go wrong when eyelash extensions are not properly placed on the eyes, according to reporting by Lauren Strapagiel in BuzzFeed News.

Megan Rixson, a 20-year-old student in Luton, in the UK, told BuzzFeed News she went to get her lashes done on Oct. 19 at a local salon, and it was quickly apparent something was wrong.

“When she was doing the first one, my eyes were stinging lots,” Rixson said. “But she said, ‘don’t worry, it’s normal,’ and told me to hold my eye open. It was burning so much my eyes were naturally closing, but she kept telling me to hold them open. After she was done, I sat up on

the bed and couldn’t open them. I said, ‘this isn’t normal,’ but she kept saying it was.”

Rixson ended up with swelling, redness and eyes that wouldn’t stop watering. She even lost her sight for two hours.

She thinks the salon used nail glue instead of eyelash glue, which is definitely not eye-friendly.

Rixson visited a walk-in clinic about two hours after getting the lashes and was able to get eye drops and eye wash to treat them.

“My eyes are recovering well, still very sensitive. Occasionally the left eye blurs and both are a tiny bit sore, but are getting better every day,” she said.

To Top
  
Subscribe Today Free...
And join more than 25,000 optometric colleagues who have made Review of Optometric Business their daily business advisor.
YOUR EMAIL
FIRST NAME
LAST NAME
  
Subscribe Today Free...
And join more than 25,000 optometric colleagues who have made Review of Optometric Business their daily business advisor.
YOUR EMAIL
FIRST NAME
LAST NAME
Subscribe Today for Free...
And join more than 25,000 optometric colleagues who have made Review of Optometric Business their daily business advisor.
Subscribe Today for Free...
And join more than 25,000 optometric colleagues who have made Review of Optometric Business their daily business advisor.