Oct. 14, 2015
Alcon has extended its line of DAILIES TOTAL1 water gradient contact lenses to include plus power lenses for hyperopic (farsighted) patients. The plus power lenses will be available in the U.S. in November 2015.
Designed to provide the benefits of long-lasting comfort3 and superior breathability2 in one lens, DAILIES TOTAL1 contact lenses launched in the U.S. in 2013. Also designed to mimic the environment of the cornea with water content of almost 100 percent at the outermost surface, Alcon says the lenses maintain 100 percent of their surface lubricity, even after a full day of wear, delivering additional end-of-day comfort.3
“When DAILIES TOTAL1 contact lenses launched in 2013, they changed the contact lens environment with the ability to deliver exceptional breathability and comfort
simultaneously,” says Carla Mack, OD, director of professional and clinical support for Alcon. “Now those requiring refractive correction for hyperopia can also experience these benefits.”
It has been reported that 44 percent of contact lens wearers report experiencing discomfort, which is one of the leading reasons people stop wearing contact lenses.4 In a European survey of contact lens wearers, more than 90 percent of participants agreed they can comfortably wear DAILIES TOTAL1 contact lenses all day long.5
Survey results also showed that:
- • More than 90 percent agreed that DAILIES TOTAL1 contact lenses are so comfortable they sometimes forget they had them on5
• More than 80 percent who tried DAILIES TOTAL1 preferred them to their previous contact lenses5
Recent data suggests that 16 percent of lens wearers in the U.S. will drop out every year, with half citing discomfort as the reason for doing so.4 “Many of my patients have found relief with DAILIES TOTAL1 contact lenses, so I’m pleased that with the introduction of plus powers, more of my patients will now have access to this technology,” says Gina Wesley, OD, an optometrist in Medina, Minn.
DAILIES TOTAL1 contact lenses are recommended for daily wear in a daily disposable modality. The contact lenses are available with a power range of -0.50D to -6.00D (in 0.25 steps); -6.50D to -10.00D (in 0.50 steps), and soon will be available in plus powers from +0.50 to +6.00D (in 0.25D steps). DAILIES TOTAL1 contact lenses are prescription medical.
1. Maissa C, Martin A, Kramer D, Nelson J, DeCenzo-Verbeten T. Evaluation of the lubricity of DAILIES
Total1 contact lenses after wear. Optum Vis Sci. 2014; 91: E-Abstract 145195.
2. Based on the ratio of lens oxygen transmissibility; among daily disposable lenses; Alcon data on file,
3. European survey of contact lens wearers and eye care professionals on satisfaction with a new water
gradient daily disposable contact lens. Clinical Optometry. 2014;6:17-23.
4. Rumpakis J. New data on contact lens dropouts: An international perspective. Rev Optom. 2010:
5. Pérez-Gómez I, Giles T. European survey of contact lens wearers and eye care professionals on
satisfaction with a new water gradient daily disposable contact lens. Clinical Optometry. 2014;6:17-23.