Dec. 14, 2016
The National Optometric Association (NOA) and Transitions Optical Inc. have released an educational paper titled “Eyes on Millennials: The Most Culturally Diverse Generation” that summarizes highlights from a “Multicultural Millennial Matters” panel that took place during the NOA’s 2016 Annual Convention in Chicago.
The paper can be found online within the My Practice/ White Papers section on MyMultiCulturalToolkit.com.
The paper explores:
• Who the multicultural millennials are, what they value and the challenges and opportunities they present eyecare professionals
• Cultural considerations for improving quality of care
• Best practices and strategies from practicing eyecare professionals on how to better understand and connect with multicultural millennial patients
Moderated by NOA vice president, Sherrol Reynolds, OD, FAAO, the panel included a mix of experienced and Millennial eye doctors, each having strong familiarity with both multicultural and Millennial patients. The following panelists are quoted throughout the paper:
• Lina T. Arango, OD, Independent Contractor, LTA Vision Corp., Miami
• Brian Chou, OD, FAAO, Partner, EyeLux Optometry, San Diego
• Darryl Glover, OD, Owner, Eye See Euphoria, Raleigh, North Carolina
• Edwin Marshall, OD, MS, MPH, Professor Emeritus of Optometry and Former Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Multicultural Affairs, Indiana University
• Vincent K. Young, MD, Chairman, Division of Ophthalmology, Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia